TOP  > FAQ  日本語プログラム

FAQ of Japanese-based (Master's)

1. How do I apply to this program?
The first step would be to choose a prospective research advisor from a list we have provided and contact him by email. You can find a list at “Staff Search”. Once your prospective research advisor has agreed to supervise you, you should fill-out and submit the application form accompanied by all the other necessary documentation. Application forms can be downloaded from our website.
2. How do I contact faculty members of the Graduate School of Science and Technology?
Please click on “Staff Search” which can be found on the top page of the homepage of the Graduate School of Science and Technology. Identify a faculty member who you think would be best qualified for supervising the particular field of research you have chosen and email him to discuss your research plans thoroughly. If you already live in Japan or have plans to visit Japan, you are advised to make an appointment and visit your prospective advisor in his office.
3. I want more information on scholarships and financial aid.
For scholarship information, please refer to the "Application Guide".
4. Do I need to go to the University to pickup my application forms for examinations and enrollment?
All application forms necessary for enrollment in the Graduate School of Science and Technology are available online and should be obtained through downloads. The University does not distribute or send these through the postal service.
5. What are the eligibility requirements for enrolling in the master’s program?
Please refer to the "Application Guide"
6. I have completed 15 years of education in a country outside Japan and have graduated from a university, but do not have a bachelor's degree. Am I eligible to study in your master's program?
Please contact our Admissions Office before submitting your application.
7. I would like more information on the entrance examination for foreign students. Do I have to go to Japan to take the examination?
Foreign students will be screened based on the contents of the documents they submit. It is not necessary for a student to come to Japan for this examination.
8. Is it possible to be registered in the Graduate School of Science and Technology as a research student? Do I need to register as a research student before I can be matriculated?
It is not a requirement to be registered as a research student before being matriculated. However, should you wish, you can be registered as a research student.
Please click here for more details. (Japanese language only )
9. Can foreign students take the entrance examination for domestic students?Is it possible to take this examination and submit an application as a foreign student simultaneously?
A foreign student can take the entrance examination for domestic students provided he meets the eligibility requirements. It is also possible to apply for the Japanese-based program simultaneously.For more information please click here. (Japanese language only)
10. Is the "Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students" or "Japanese Language Proficiency Test (Level 1)" a requirement?
Those who wish to enroll in the Japanese-based master's program are required to take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students or the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (Level 1). They must submit the results of one of these exams when they make their application.
11. What is the required minimum score for the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students and the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (Level 1)?
There is no required minimum score for these tests.
12. Is it a requirement to submit GRE scores?
Although GRE scores are not required, we recommend that these are submitted. If there is a GRE Subject Test that is relevant to the field of study you wish to pursue, it is recommended that you take the Subject Test and submit the results. If you take the GRE General Test, the score on the Quantitative Section will be the main reference. The results of the GRE are valid for 5 years.
13. What is the minimum GRE score required for admission?
There is no required minimum GRE score.
14. Is it necessary to submit scores of English proficiency tests such as the TOEFL and TOEIC?
No. These are not a requirement.
15. How can I be exempted from paying the application fee?
All applicants must pay the application fee.
16. How can I pay my application fee?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" for more information.
17. When do the terms start?
The spring term starts in April and the fall term starts in September.
18. Assuming I have been accepted for enrollment, is it possible to defer my admission to another date?
No. The acceptance is only good for the stipulated admission date.
19. Can you give me an idea of how much tuition I will need to pay?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" for more information.
20. How long will it take to complete the master's program?
In the Graduate School of Science and Technology, the master's program will be 1-2 years followed by a 1-3 year Ph.D. program. The primary objective of the master's program is to help the student establish advanced fundamentals in science and technology through course work and independent research projects, under the appropriate guidance from faculty members.
21. Are there courses of Japanese?
Yes. There are different courses available for those with a different level of Japanese proficiency.
"Syllabus Search"
22. Does the University have dormitories? Will the University help me find other types of accommodations if I can't get into the dormitories?
There are a number of university dormitories but not enough to accommodate every student who wishes to stay there. However, there are many student apartments in the vicinity of the campus.
23. What's the cost of living like in Japan? How much allowance will I need?
The cost of living varies regionally and is greatly affected by the type of accommodations you require. More information is provided at “JASSO” or the “Keio University International Center”.
24. How many master's program students advance to the Ph.D. program? Is it necessary to take an examination?
Approximately half of the foreign students who complete the master’s program continue their studies in the Ph.D. program. To do this, a student needs to pass an examination.
25. What job opportunities are there for foreign students who are graduates of the master’s program?
40% have found jobs overseas. 60% have found jobs in Japan as technical experts in industries such as information service, automobile and precision machinery.