TOP  > FAQ of IGP (Ph.D.)

FAQ of IGP (Ph.D.)

1. How do I apply for the program?
The first step would be to choose a prospective research advisor from a list we have provided and contact him by email. You can find the list at “Staff Search”. Once your prospective research advisor has agreed to supervise you, you should fill-out and submit the application form accompanied by all the other necessary documentation. Application forms can be downloaded from our website.
2. How do I contact faculty members of the Graduate School of Science and Technology?
Please click on “Staff Search” which can be found on the top page of the homepage of the Graduate School of Science and Technology. Identify a faculty member who you think would be best qualified for supervising the particular field of research you have chosen and email him to discuss your research plans thoroughly. If you already live in Japan or have plans to visit Japan, you are advised to make an appointment and visit your prospective advisor in his office.
3. Is there a scholarship I can apply to at the same time as submitting my application forms for admissions?
If you are submitting an application to the IGP-D12 program, you can simultaneously submit your application to the Monbukagakusho Scholarship (Japanese Government Scholarship).
For more information about scholarships,please refer to the “Application Guide”.
The University also has a system for exempting foreign students from paying tuition. For more information please go to the homepage of the “Keio University International Center”.
4. Do I need to go to the University to pickup my application forms for examinations and enrollment?
All application forms necessary for enrollment in the Graduate School of Science and Technology are available online and should be obtained through downloads. The University does not distribute or send these through the postal service.
5. What are the eligibility requirements for the Ph.D. program?
Please refer to the "Application Guide".
6. I would like more information on the entrance examination for foreign students. Do I have to go to Japan to take the examination?
Foreign students will be screened based on the contents of the documents they submit. It is not necessary for a student to come to Japan for this examination.
7. Is it mandatory to submit GRE scores or the scores of other similar types of examinations?
No. We do not have any requirements for submitting GRE scores or other tests.
8. Is the "Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students" or "Japanese Language Proficiency Test (Level 1)" a requirement?
No. These examinations are not required.
9. How can I be exempted from paying the application fee?
All applicants must pay the application fee.
10. How can I pay my application fee?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" for more information.
11. When do the terms start?
The spring term starts in April and the fall term starts in mid September.
12. Assuming I have been accepted for enrollment, is it possible to defer my admission to another date?
No. The acceptance is only good for the stipulated admission date.
13. Can you give me an idea of how much tuition I will need to pay?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" for more information.
14. How long will it take to complete the Ph.D. program?
The Ph.D. program is normally completed in three academic years. There are some exceptions where a student may complete his doctoral program in one to two and a half years (a total of three or more years including the time the student has spent in his master's program) if he produces outstanding research results.
15. Are there courses of Japanese?
Yes. There are different courses available for those with different levels of Japanese proficiency.
"Syllabus Search"
16. Are there courses that a Ph.D. student can register for outside the Ph.D. program?
Yes. There are courses in the master's program that the Ph.D. student can take if necessary.
17. Does the University have dormitories? Will the University help me find other types of accommodations if I can't get into the dormitories?
There are a number of university dormitories but not enough to accommodate every student who wishes to stay there. However, there are many student apartments in the vicinity of the campus.
18. What's the cost of living like in Japan? How much allowance will I need?
The cost of living varies regionally and is greatly affected by the type of accommodations you require. More information is provided at “JASSO” or the “Keio University International Center”.
19. What job opportunities are there for foreign students who are graduates of the Ph.D. program?
Some remain in Japan and find jobs related to research, while others go abroad and either become faculty of an educational institution or find jobs related to research or engineering.