1. How do I apply for the program?
The first step would be to choose a prospective research advisor from a list we have provided and contact him by email. You can find a list at “Staff Search”. Once your prospective research advisor has agreed to supervise you, you should fill-out and submit the application form accompanied by all the other necessary documentation. Application forms can be downloaded from our website.
2. How do I contact faculty members of the Graduate School of Science and Technology?
Please click on “Staff Search” which can be found on the top page of the homepage of the Graduate School of Science and Technology. Identify a faculty member who you think would be best qualified for supervising the particular field of research you have chosen and email him to discuss your research plans thoroughly. If you already live in Japan or have plans to visit Japan, you are advised to make an appointment and visit your prospective advisor in his office.
3. Is there a scholarship I can apply to at the same time as submitting my application forms for admissions?
If you are submitting an application for admissions to the IGP in the application period: November - Mid-December, you can apply for the Monbukagakusho Scholarship (Japanese Government Scholarship) or the ADB Scholarship program. Applicants who would like to apply for both scholarships should submit two scholarship application forms. For further details please refer to "Application Guide".
The Monbukagakusho Scholarship provides financial aid to students with outstanding academic records up to 5 years studies in the master's and Ph.D. programs.
ADB Japan Scholarship Program requires that applicants have more than two years of full-time professional working experience.
4. Do I need to go to the University to pickup my application forms for examinations and enrollment?
All application forms necessary for enrollment in the Graduate School of Science and Technology are available online and should be obtained through downloads. The University does not distribute or send these through the postal service.
5. What are the eligibility requirements for enrolling in the master's program in the International Graduate Program on Advanced Science and Technology?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" .
6. I have completed 15 years of education in a country outside Japan and have graduated from a university, but do not have a bachelor's degree. Am I eligible to study in your master's program?
Please contact our Admissions Office before submitting your application.
7. I would like more information on the entrance examination for foreign students. Do I have to go to Japan to take the examination?
Foreign students will be screened based on the contents of the documents they submit. It is not necessary for a student to come to Japan for this examination.
8. Can anyone be exempted from submitting TOEFL scores? Can I submit TOEIC or IELTS instead TOEFL scores?
Native speakers of English or those who have a degree from an institution where all instruction is provided in English are exempted from taking this examination. We do not accept either TOEIC or IELTS scores.
9. Is the GRE compulsory?
Yes. Scores must be reported directly to Keio University from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). If there is a GRE Subject Test that is relevant to the field of study you wish to pursue, it is recommended that you take the Subject Test and submit the results. If the applicant whose native language is not English takes the GRE General Test, the Quantitative Section of the GRE will be the main criteria for evaluation. Scores must arrive at the Admissions Office no later than the application deadline. The results of the GRE are valid for 5 years.
10. What are the required minimum scores for the GRE and TOEFL?
We do not have a minimum requirement for either TOEFL or GRE scores. However, past MEXT scholarship recipients have mostly scored 165 or more in the quantitative section of GRE.
11. How can I be exempted from paying the application fee?
All applicants must pay the application fee.
12. How can I pay my application fee?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" for more information.
13. When does the terms start?
The Spring term starts in April and the fall term starts in September.
14. Assuming I have been accepted for enrollment, is it possible to defer my admission to another date?
No. The acceptance is only good for the stipulated admission date.
15. Can you give me an idea of how much tuition I will need to pay?
Please refer to the "Application Guide" for more information.
16. How long will it take to complete the master's program?
In the Graduate School of Science and Technology, the master's program will be 1-2 years followed by a 1-3 year Ph.D. program. The primary objective of the master's program is to help the student establish advanced fundamentals in science and technology through course work and independent research projects, under the appropriate guidance from faculty members.
17. Are there courses of Japanese?
Yes. There are different courses available for those with different levels of Japanese proficiency.
"Syllabus Search"
18. Do you have an internship program?
Student will have the option of participating in internship programs at Japanese corporations. As a fine compliment to studying at Keio University, students can arm themselves with first hand experience of Japanese corporate culture through these internships. These experiences will undoubtedly provide students with insights and experiences that will broaden their perspective and keep them on the competitive edge in an increasingly hi-tech and global economy.
19. Does the University have dormitories? Will the University help me find other types of accommodations if I can't get into the dormitories?
There are a number of university dormitories but not enough to accommodate every student who wishes to stay there. However, there are many student apartments in the vicinity of the campus.
20. What's the cost of living like in Japan? How much allowance will I need?
The cost of living varies regionally and is greatly affected by the type of accommodations you require. More information is provided at “JASSO” or the “Keio University International Center”.
21. How many master's program students advance to the Ph.D. program? Is it necessary to take an examination?
Approximately half of the foreign students who complete the master's program continue their studies in the Ph.D. program. To do this, a student needs to pass an examination.
22. What job opportunities are there for foreign students who are graduates of the master's program?
40% have found jobs overseas. 60% have found jobs in Japan as technical experts in industries such as information service, automobile and precision machinery.